10 more marketing lessons from Justin Bieber. Really.
By Amber Hudson and Luke Sklar
Back in February Luke and I wrote a post about Justin Bieber in which we predicted his career would implode by the end of 2012.
Then a couple months ago Luke shocks me (surprisingly a common occurrence) by saying that I MUST see the Justin Bieber movie Never Say Never. I was all, seriously that’s so awful, I can’t even look at you right now.
So the other night my hubby is out and my daughter is asleep and I’m scouring Netflix for something to watch and I came across this movie. Free = low risk so I hit play and OH…MY…GAWD, the movie is AMAZING! Within the first 10 minutes it totally changed my mind about the kid. And Luke and I are not the only ones. We`ve come across other staunch non-Bieber fans who ended the movie with a raging case of Bieber Fever. What is up with that?!?!? Are we so simple that we can be moved by a splashy PR puff-piece?
There’s a lot us marketers can learn from that little tyke (who is now past puberty and making out with that other little tyke Selena Gomez):
- Open-mindedness should be the 5th Cardinal Virtue
- You have to earn your luck, there is no “overnight success“
- You need a story that resonates (in Justin’s case it’s the archetype of the little hero taking on the world, and kicking its ass)
- You need a better product
- You need an unbelievable work ethic
- You need passion
- You need to surround yourself with a talented team: folks that tell you no when you’re pushing the guardrails and people that make you better at what you do
- Recognize the incredible power of alternative marketing tools including social media and word of mouth
- Have patience and know you`re on a journey
- And what else did Luke and I learn? Humility is an important attribute. Have the confidence to admit when you got it wrong. (Okay, maybe a little wrong. He still has to take on reinventing himself year after year)
So, do Luke and I have egg on our face? I hope we do, I truly hope Justin continues to succeed; but only time will tell. Now, if those Jonas Brothers only put out a great movie…
Like what you just read? Spread the love and click on a button below to share. Thanks!